Wednesday 19 November 2008

Teaching comedy!

I'm three weeks into teaching a five session course at a local library. We decided to call it 'Comedy for Kids', although I suppose that one writes 'humour' rather than 'comedy'. But who cares?

I have four middle graders. One girl is a regular at my courses, and is very talented. Her story involves a giant inflatable shark called Melvin, and his search for stolen fish sticks. It's pretty darn good for a twelve year old!

The others aren't quite as advanced. One boy is a sports nut, and seems a bit lost when it comes to actually adding real humour to his writing. But, hey, he's nine. When I was nine I wasn't a great talent either.

OK, I know what you were about to say -----

Anyway, it's huge fun, and I'm glad to be teaching the next generation. And giving them homeweork as well.

2 comments:

vern said...

And exposing America's children to the thrill of Victorian pedagogy, no doubt! Welcome to the blogosphere, good sir.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a few chapters away from finishing Island of the Mad Scientists and I hope to blog it for our library's website when I finish. I do love this one, like the others. I had several long books ahead of this one (extra points, one was on 15th century Malta) and my family started and finished without me.
Joe